Even though Mee and I have definitely settled for our choice of the house now, we still look at RightMove every other day. I must say the frequency of houses for sale advertised is about the same as when we first started looking for a house. Some of the houses that we went to see before are still on the market while some have dropped their prices in the hope to attract potential buyer. When we were looking for a house, our landlord kept asking us why we are not considering somewhere near the town centre. Well, our first thought was that the price is always higher. Houses near the town centre area can cost £10,000 more and smaller in size. However, we recently saw a house, which is really close to the town centre and literally only 1 minute walk away, had reduced by £20,000 from its initial selling price. It’s a two bedroom house and by looking at the pictures, it didn’t look too bad. Well, better than some that we have seen. Oddly, the bathroom is on the ground floor while there is no landing area upstairs.
Anyway, we have seen houses with water fountains indoor and ponds in the garden. It’s fair to say that we are satisfied with our purchase. There’s a small green area in front of the house and the garden is low maintenance as well.
A lot of things actually happened in between my last two posts. I realise that I didn’t mention it. The valuation was indeed being conducted today but it was conducted on a different house. Mee and I have pulled out of the previous house. As mentioned before, the seller was still sorting out her mortgage about a week and a half after our offer was accepted. In the meantime, we found a better house and our offer was immediately accepted. The reason of the delay in the previous seller’s mortgage was that she was confident about her credit rating and that she will have her mortgage approved. However, her partner’s credit rating wasn’t great, hence, the delay. Well, I know my credit rating is great yet I still approach the bank even before Mee and I began our house hunting. I even approached two banks and one mortgage broker. There are no such thing as absolute when it comes to borrowing money from banks.
When I rang the estate agent that I will be pulling out of the house, the estate agent was trying to put the blame on me for breaking my promise. But he said that buying houses always take a long time and he has clients that have to wait for four to six months. My first thought was that if everyone thinks like that, of course everything is going at a snail pace. If the seller had arranged her mortgage while she advertised her house for sale, she would have got her mortgage sorted by the time my offer was accepted. Bear in mind that the time she advertised to our offer being accepted was more than a month. Pure lazy. We even went to look at the house’s surroundings a few times and the seller was planting flowers at the front and back garden. Who in their right mind would still do stuffs on the house that they are selling? If Mee and I were to move in to the house, the first thing we will be doing is to take out the flowers.
Anyway, the house is back on the market and we are in the process of purchasing our unit. The house that we are purchasing now is located just the next couple of roads. It has the same layout but it’s in a better condition. It’s cheaper as well but Mee and I believe that it is because it’s a mid-terrace house rather than end of terrace. Well, there are only three houses and ours is just right in the middle. The house is solid brick build, hence, we don’t think there will be too much noise problem. We went to the neighbourhood at night a few times now and we hardly heard any noise. Now, we just hope that the valuation report will arrive soon for us to proceed further.
I lost count. I think it’s more than a month now since Mee and I started looking for a house. We found one eventually. We were very excited when we negotiated the price with the seller through the estate agent. Our first offer was not accepted by the seller but we were not interested in increasing our offer. We just kept on looking around for other houses. About a week later, we rang the estate agent again to contact the seller if she was still interested. Another week went by and Mee and I decided to meet the seller in the middle. Oddly enough, we received a call from the estate agent asking if we were still interested. We told him our opinion and he said that just a few minutes before he rang me, he had already decreased the price following the seller’s request. Our offer was accepted there and then as the seller had given the estate agent the right to accept any matching offer subject to contract.
Mee and I were very happy and soon, I was arranging my mortgage and instructing my solicitor to do all the necessary works. About a week and a half later, the seller may have some difficulties arranging her mortgage. At that time, Mee and I were quite furious as we had already paid some of the money, though not many but it was really time wasting considering that the seller did not have already arranged her mortgage to purchase her next house. Every time Mee and I approached the estate agents, we were always asked if we had a mortgage promise from the bank. Why didn’t they do the same to sellers if they are in a chain?
Just last Friday, I received a letter from my solicitor stating that the seller’s solicitor and herself are drafting an agreement or contract for the house. And the seller has already signed the house’s inventory about a week ago. Surely if the seller was unable to confirm her mortgage, she would have asked her solicitor to be on hold and my solicitor would not have received further instructions as we are both using the same solicitor firm. Anyway, I will be waiting for my estate agent to call me tomorrow once she finds out more information as promised. Fingers crossed!
Mee and I missed our Body Balance class this morning because our landlord came to see a house for us. We already looked at the house last week but since we are interested in it, we thought we should ask our landlord to look at it for us again. As he came by around 11am, it meant that we had to skipped our Body Balance class. Our instructor had previously told us that she would bring what was said to be the best yoga mat for us to see but I guess we missed the chance too. Anyway, I think it is more important for us to find a house to live in.
Early in the morning, we went to see a house and it was the owner who showed it around and not the estate agent. While talking to the owner, he mentioned that the estate agent is an online company and they don’t do house viewing with potential buyers. Initially, I thought that we would be there for less than half an hour but the whole tour went on for an hour. It’s not a really big house and we actually chatted most of the time. In fact, he went to the same gym as us. Well, it’s a shame that we don’t think that we will make an offer for the house. There’s nothing much to complain about but we just don’t think it’s the one for us.
We then went home and kept wondering what time our landlord will come by. Just when we were about to go to the gym, he came. We had no choice but to go to the house with him though he said that he will be fine alone. Upon arrived at the house, we asked the lady owner politely to see if we can look at the house again. She and her partner were okay with it so we just let our landlord do the checking. I believe that our landlord also thinks that the price is too high for that sort of house. He said that he will call us at night to discuss about it but so far, we received no calls from him. I guess we will have to call him tomorrow.
The surprising thing was we received a call from the estate agent. He told me that the lady owner rang him to express her displeasure of us coming around. In my defence, I told the estate agent that we did ask her for permission and it’s up to her to agree or disagree. The estate agent then told me that it would be rude to refuse. I just told him that I would refuse rather than agree and then go about complaining to other people.
To be honest, we think the house could be the one for us. But thinking about living in a house that has an owner with that kind of behaviour just made me a bit mad. The asking price is already ridiculous and that attitude stinks. I might make a very low offer and see how she reacts.
House hunting can be very fun and frustrating at the same time. Occasionally, you can find some funny things through the photos that the owners put up on the websites. In UK, the most popular website to browse for houses to buy would be Rightmove.co.uk. In one of the houses advertised, I saw an equipment which looks like a bed or some sort but it’s made of steel. Upon searching Google, I realised that it’s motorcycle lifts. People can really have all sorts of things at their home. Anyway, the frustrating thing is that you can’t always get what you want. We made an offer to a house that we really like. However, our offer was not good enough to beat another person’s offer. Needless to say, the owner went for the higher offer.
There’s a little story that happened in between but I am just to lazy to mention it all. It was supposed to be a simple process but the estate agent made it looked complicated. In the process of making the offer, I was contacted by three different member of staffs. You can imagine how confuse it can be when all three of them said slightly different things to me. Anyway, Mee and I are back in the hunt for a house again.
This week has been a busy week for Mee and me even though I have a whole week off. We woke up practically at 8am everyday as we have appointments with estate agents, mortgage advisors and a friend. So far, we have looked at five houses and there’s one more to see tomorrow morning. Of all the five houses we have seen, none of them really fits all our criteria. There’s one in a very nice area. The price is slightly higher as you would expect but the house is smaller compare to others. It’s a two bed house but the second room is just a single room. There’s one which is quite spacious but not in what we would consider a good area. There’s one where we had quite a lengthy discussion with the estate agent as well as making an offer for the house. The first and second offer was rejected and the owner was only prepared to decrease the price of the house to certain amount. I think Mee and I were glad that the owner did not agree on our price because we were quite concern about the limited parking spaces around the area. It’s a communal parking area and there aren’t enough spaces to cater the neighbourhood.
Mee and I actually went to consult the next door neighbour for opinion. Overall, we think the area is good but the parking is a concern. Hence, we decided not to pursue further. The other two houses did not meet our expectation.
Our hope is kind of fell on the house that we are going to see tomorrow. It is having an open house tomorrow, hence, we couldn’t book in to see before the open house. When I first looked at the house, I already thought it’s the one for us. However, when we showed the photos to our landlord, our landlord think that some of the material used on the house could be problematic. But overall, it’s still not a bad house. It’s spacious and the previous owner has made some improvement on the house. In addition, it’s very near to the place where we live at the moment, hence, we know the area quite well. Hope it goes well tomorrow!